Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 01:11:52PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I think Ben's point is that we don't know.
>
> You seem to claim that binary units (ie powers of 2) are natural
> everywhere related to computers, but I disagree. It's natural for
> memory and structures like it, but not for bitstream quantities like
> network traffic.

But they don't use powers of 10 any more than they do powers of 10.  While
bps speeds are an oft-quoted case that "always" use powers of 10, the
connection I got here is guaranteed min=max 1Mbps which as far as I can
measure it goes right at 1048576 bits per second, rain or sleet.
And the ISP is one of the most despicable, cheating, greedy ones you can
imagine -- for example our company pays for that 1Mbps more than in a
civilised place you would pay for 100Mbps, so if they seen a place to
overadvertise something, they would.

And as far as I know, usually 1Mbps stands for 1024x1000 bits where network
speeds are concerned, to be wrong by both the correct and yours
interpretation :p

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be