Re: Odd dh_strip failure with some packages

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 03:49:27AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > Actually, AFAIK it has to do with whether the *read* bit is set.  I.e.,
> > the files are installed as a non-root user, readable only by the owner;
> > then root tries to read the file in the binary target, without first
> > changing the permissions.

> Well, unless the buildd is running with some demented umask, that's not
> happening with webauth.  Everything is created with the default umask.

But "the default umask" may well be 0600, in which case the file perms would
indeed say that root does not have read access to the files. :)

> > How many packages are you seeing with this problem?  I'm not keen on the
> > idea of having dh_strip try to work around it, but maybe dh_strip could
> > be changed to treat such failures as fatal errors at least.

> http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tunstripped-binary-or-object.html

> Nearly all of those appear to be this problem.  There are a few where the
> maintainer really isn't stripping files, but that's much rarer.  Look for
> any of the packages there that were autobuilt on i386.

> If dh_strip makes this an error, ninsei is going to stop being able to
> build various packages, which will probably help get this fixed, I guess.

I didn't think ninsei was still active, but it appears that it is after all.
So yes, turning these into build failures seems most reliable to me.