Re: Release Team Meeting results (the Juelich Edition)

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 03:52:12PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Bill Allombert (Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr) [070616 15:43]:
> > I understand the wish of a short freeze, but QA need to happen on the
> > packages we ship, not with the package that happened to be in the
> > archive at the time QA occured. That is why we are Debian after all.
>
> Nobody wants to promote to not doing QA with the final packages. All
> that we want to do is to do the same kind of QA also to earlier versions
> of the packages to avoid noticing the issues to late.

I understand: I tried to do that for Etch, but it simply did not work out.
In particular my effort toward removing spurious conffile handling was
a total failure due to a later dpkg change.

> > Let say I propose as a release goal that no packages will prompt for
> > config files changes during upgrade unless the users manually changed
> > the config files themselves. Would you accept it ? We do have the
> > capability to report all such issues. Do we have the capability to fix
> > them ?
>
> How many issues do we have? How would the check be that we don't
> reintroduce such issues later? (I'm not considering the capability
> the important question now, that's one of the advantages of release
> goals.)

Today maybe 0. In one year ? I don't know. Hopes are that Etch dpkg
will reduce the number of issue compared to Etch.

Cheers,
Bill.