Re: How to package software with binaries in tarball?

On 6/13/07, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
> Should we remove them from the original tarball, or is it better to leave them?

Unless there is a huge a gain in tarball size I would keep the

Tarball without binaries is about 11Mb, with binaries is about 37Mb.

pristine source. It is rather nice to be able take debian's tar.gz and
verify with md5sum or a detached gpg sig that upstream's tarball is

The original tarball contains non-free RFCs, so it is recreated anyway.

identical. OTOH if I needed to repackaged the source tarball anyway
since it contains non DFSG free material I would remove the binaries
too.

OK. I see your point. Thanks!
--
Sergei Golovan