Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

shirish wrote:
Hi all,
      Please look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix . I
put a bug up for it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/119822 &
Aaron helpfully said it needs more discussion. I have had great
support from libtorrent code.rasterbar.com as well as the guys at
deluge http://dev.deluge-torrent.org .
    The difference is simply astonishing to put aside if let's say a
download or an .ISO says 700 MB (700*1000) it becomes 683.59375 MiB
(700000/1024) . Please lemme know what you guys think about it ?
    It isn't just ubuntu or debian but this needs to be done
everywhere. Have something accurate.

I support your request. Although I think this isn't a big deal for the average user, it is pretty confusing from time to time since you can't be sure what a k actually means.

This standard you're talking about exists for a while now but it seems that people (programmers) are adapting really slow. We could do the community a favor by doing what's in our possibility and push the adoption a bit further.

Cheers,

Bastian

PS: Next time please use your real name when posting to Debian mailing lists.

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org