Re: APT 0.7 for sid

Daniel Burrows a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 09:54:16AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> was heard to say:
>>> term. I would also love to find a way in the future to interface with
>>> the aptitude dependency problem resolver (that is superiour to the one
>>> in libapt).
>> In what way is it superior? Until now, apt-get always found a solution to
>> all the dist-upgrade that I gave him whereas aptitude sometimes didn't.
>
>   Raphael,
>
>   When you encounter situations where aptitude can't find a solution,
> could you please send them to me?  aptitude's resolver is designed to be
> complete, so if it misses valid solutions it's a bug.
>
>     Thanks,
>   Daniel

Hi,

I would say aptitude has a very surprising behaviour when upgrading a single
package that pulls in a lot of dependencies (this mostly happens when you run
unstable, but do not use apt-get upgrade regularly).

Let's say I want to upgrade only gnome-terminal, but, due to an ongoing
transition, this needs to pull in most of the gnome platform. Then, aptitude's
prefered solution would be:
1) hold gnome-terminal
2) still upgrade a few dependencies
3) keep the big transition out

Now, this may be correct in the sense that it does not break anything, but it
makes little sense: not only does aptitude *not* do what I set out to do in the
first place, but it stills does a few unrelated upgrades.

Maybe this could be fixed by setting a high penalties on solutions that do not
answer the original request of the user.

I hope this is clear. Maybe I should keep a log the next time this happens, so I
can send a proper bug report.

Cheers,
BC