Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Le lundi 11 juin 2007 à 19:56 -0500, Mark Reitblatt a écrit :
> That's not "consistent". Kilobyte has always meant 2^10 bytes.

No, it has never. Kilo has always meant 10^3. Full stop. End of story.
Bye bye. People didn't invent the SI just so that a small group of
hackers decide that suddenly it is 2^10 just because it is more
convenient. SI units are *universal*.

There is a world outside computing, you know. Just ask anyone outside
your small world how much bytes they think a kilobyte is.

> "kilo" in "kilobyte" is not an SI prefix.

"Kilo" is always a SI prefix.

> SI prefixes only apply to SI measurements

No.

> There is no confusion;

There seems to be in your mind.

> the only place where a kilobyte != 2^10 bytes is in hard drive
> manufacturer's advertising materials.

No. A kilobyte is 10^3 bytes everywhere. At least, in all countries who
use SI units.

> This is the way it has been for
> decades, and it is a perfectly acceptable and desirable standard.

It has never been anything but a gross imprecision introduced by people
incapable of following rigorous standards.

--
 .''`.