Re: Enter Postpone

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> To be honest, this is exactly an example where I would *NOT* want to see
> this implemented.
>
> A major downside of the mechanism supported by this package is that there
> is absolutely no check is any errors occur during the running of these
> postponed scripts!

That's exactly the reason why we never did that ourselves.

> For all other potential use cases, maintainers should wait for the
> implementation of triggers in dpkg [2], which is the only correct way to
> deal with this issue.

Seconded.

Regards, Frank

> [1] And that this is not purely theoretical can be shown with the recent
> RC bugs (#419020 and friends) against jadetex, which caused failure in
> the postinst for all texlive packages which call such scripts.

Well, this one is actually a bad example, because it wouldn't happen if
the thing was postponed, it's kind of a timing issue.  But there are
other valid examples of failed TeX commands (by the dozen in the BTS).

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)