Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Bastian Venthur wrote:
> I agree with the "sounds stupid" part, although I don't belive this is a
> valid argument.

It's a perfectly valid argument for me to use to ignore a bad standard.
If the standard makes me talk funny, I will ignore it or make fun of it.

(Bibibibibibibibibibib.)

> What I don't believe is your 80 colums argument. Could
> you please name a few of the *many* programs which would have to drop
> information, precision, or significantly change their display to use the
> "KiB" unit?

iftop, top, ls, and df are the first few to come to mind.

> On the other hand, we have the chance to avoid user confusion and follow
> a standard that (according to the wikipedia article) many already
> adopted, like the GNU core utils, the linux kernel, ifconfig, launchpad
> and gparted and many standards bodies and technical organizations like
> IEEE, CIPM, NIST, and SAE.

Note that wikipedia is rarely perfectly accurate on technical matters.
And coreutils does not consistently use the SI prefixes.

--
see shy jo