Re: APT 0.7 for sid

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 09:54:16AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > I plan to do an apt 0.7.2 upload for sid this weekend. It's a big merge
> > of the version in debian/experimental and the version in Ubuntu.
>
> Big thanks and kudos for your work!

Thanks a lot!

> > - automatic removal of unused dependencies moved into libapt so that
> >   applications like synaptic, python-apt, update-manger etc directly
> >   benefit from it. A HUGE thanks to Daniel Burrows (one of my personal
> >   heros) for his work on this feature.
>
> Yay! That's really awesome. I wanted that for so long. :) I keep using
> apt-get one way or another for example because of "apt-get build-dep" and
> I missed the fact that dependencies should be marked as auto-installed

Yeah! I'm quite happy about this too :) The automatic removal of
unused dependencies is a long-standing feature request in synaptic and
the best way to get it there was to integrate it in libapt directly.

> BTW I just wish we could have a way to say that all packages installed by this
> build-dep command are marked as automatic (so that they get removed in the
> next upgrade, because I have stopped playing with that source package in
> the mean time).

This is currently not done, but implementing it should be
straightforward.

Thanks! I pushed the branch to http://bzr.debian.org/apt/ and updated
http://wiki.debian.org/AptDevelopment

> > This way e.g. Christian Perrier can commit his very valuable i18n
> > updates directly to the repository. I also hope that more people can get
> > access so that the load is a bit more shared.
>
> Couln't you prepare a talk for Debconf where you could introduce
> people to the internals of Apt? It could be helpful to recruit new
> volunteers on this crucial part of our infrastructure.

Unfortunately I will not make it to this years debconf :(

> > term. I would also love to find a way in the future to interface with
> > the aptitude dependency problem resolver (that is superiour to the one
> > in libapt).
>
> In what way is it superior? Until now, apt-get always found a solution to
> all the dist-upgrade that I gave him whereas aptitude sometimes didn't.

The apt resolver is doing well most of the time, but it does not
handle complex situations as good as it could be. Aptitude 0.4.x has a
complete new resolver that is described in details in:
http://people.debian.org/~dburrows/model.pdf
More work was put into a theoretical model and it also offers nice
additions like interactive review of the available solutions.

Cheers,
 Michael