Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

* Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña [Thu, 31 May 2007 12:33:07 +0200]:

Hello.

> I actually think we should ship a *distinct* /etc/debian_version
> in testing and not make it follow the "sid->testing->stable" dance. Otherwise
> there is a timeframe in which sid's or testing's base-files say's it is
> stable, when it's not.

Like Javier, I also think that it'd be desirable to have somewhere, be
it /etc/debian_version or not, distinct information about the release.
His idea about /etc/lsb-release sounds sensible to me:

> However, this opens the possibility of introducing /etc/lsb-release in Debian
> (not required by lsb, but nice to have for people who do not want to rely on
> the lsb_release script) with properly structured content like:

> DISTRIB_ID=Debian
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=4.0
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=etch
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 'etch'"

> and

> DISTRIB_ID=Debian
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=testing
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=lenny
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Debian GNU/Linux testing 'lenny' (UNRELEASED)"

Santiago, would you be willing to introduce this new file (distinct from
/etc/debian_version) into base-files, and maintain two separate branches
of the package as explained by Javier?

If not, Javier's idea about introducing a new packagae for this file
seems the only option left, and I wouldn't mind maintaining it. Other
packages like lsb-release and maybe base-files could depend on it.
Though I think it'd be best to ship /etc/lsb-release on base-files
itself.

> Either ways make the hacks introduced in lsb_release unnecesary.

This sounds desirable, yes. Let's wait for Santiago's opinion.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.