Re: A sane guess at default Debian mirror for pbuilder

On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:53:18 +0100
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 12:25:50AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > After 6 years or so of setting ftp.jp.debian.org as default for
> > pbuilder, I'm finally determined that it shouldn't stay like this.
> > So I'd like to have some default guessing to happen.  Preferably I
> > don't want to ask via debconf, since users should have already
> > answered the question at installation-time.
>
> I think the most accurate method would be to scan the list of
> configured apt sources, and choose the first one which matches the
> Debian release the user is currently running (via the information
> from Releases).  If the necessary API isn't available yet, this could
> probably be added to python-apt without too much trouble, and might
> be useful elsewhere as well.

It probably needs to be part of devscripts or build-essential (or a
dependency of one of those so that it is always available) and
personally, I would much prefer that this didn't rely on python. I
don't want to have to add python to a debootstrap chroot just to get
this functionality. Emdebian is busy removing perl from 'Essential' and
is unlikely to support any python on all except the most powerful
embedded devices. (Most devices will be C/C++ with a little dash.)

--

Neil Williams