Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries? (and API docs too)

Neil Williams wrote:
> I chose Debian as a development platform for my own reasons and my
> decision was "not deemed to be wise" in the eyes of some of my upstream
> colleagues. As the newbie to that particular team, I was under
> significant pressure to "upgrade to Fedora or SuSE". Debian needs to
> reclaim the respect of upstream development teams and part of that is
> making it *a lot* easier to do upstream development on Debian without
> needing to become a DD as well. Debian is respected as a
> distribution for users because of the multiple architecture support and
> the patches and bug reports that are forwarded upstream - what is
> missing (IMHO) is respect for Debian as the distribution of choice for
> upstream development itself.

Are you generalising from your one poor personal experience with a
non-Debian-friendly upstream, or do you have a significant body of data
that I don't about masses of upsteams who are not Debian friendly?

My impression has always been that a significant proportion of upstreams
use Debian, or are at least familiar with it. I base this on, amoung
other things, interacting with hundreds of different upstreams whose
packages I have maintained in Debian, as well as working in linux
companies and personally knowing a lot of upstream developers.

The only significant documentation that is missing in Debian that I know
of is GFDL licensed docs which have been removed from main. Aside from
that, if a library is missing documentation, it's missing it because
it's not available upsteam either.

--
see shy jo