Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 22:23, "Marco d'Itri" <md@linux.it> wrote:
> > Maybe we could have a special-case for MAC addresses in that range and
> > have udev not rename them unless satisfying some other requirement forced
> > it.
>
> It's even easier, just add this rule:
>
> DRIVERS=="vif", GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"
>
> It's probably safe enough to be the default, but I am not sure if the
> release manager would appreciate me adding it so close to the release.

The current functionality in regard to Xen is seriously broken.  A reasonable
person will expect that when a Xen virtual machine is configured with a
single Ethernet interface then it can be restarted at any time and get the
same name - eth0.  The current functionality for Xen breaks user expectations
and does not provide any benefit that I can imagine.

For the rare case of a Xen instance with multiple Ethernet devices it would be
easy to modify the config file in question - which is actually an easier task
than determining how to correctly manage MAC addresses.

I believe that this fix is worthy of inclusion at this time.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development