Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 01:41:26PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:54:45PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > > The trouble is that nowadays, the kernel does not assign predictable
> > > interface names, and an increasing number of systems has got more than
> > > one Ethernet interface.  The downside is that typical Debian
> > > installations aren't cloneable anymore.

> > You only need to delete /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent*.rules before udev
> > runs. That should be doable and could be a configuration option. The default
> > should stay as-is.

> It should certainly be prominently documented.  a debconf question priority
> high or above would probably be useful.

Ugh no.  Document it in the release notes and/or README.Debian, please, not
as a nagbox in the middle of an upgrade.

> But I still don't think that the default should be to enable this.

Which do you think is the common case -- a system with more than one network
interface where it's necessary to preserve interface ordering across
reboots, or a system where the admin will frequently change out the network
hardware and need to reuse the same interface names?

In the absence of kernel guarantees about device ordering (as is the case
with 2.6), the current udev implementation gives you the first at the
expense of the second.  I believe this correctly optimizes for the common
case.