gnucash and etch freeze

One of the unfortunate side-effects of a freeze is that it becomes very
hard to get necessary changes into etch when an upstream package is a
more rapidly moving target.

In the four months since gnucash 2.0.2 was released, much development
has happened, and upstream has released several more versions. The
general reliability of the program is much improved, with a thousand
small annoyances and crashes fixed. I am told also that some of these
fixes include security-related issues (most importantly, vulnerabilities
through /tmp).

Now I simply do not have the time to go through the changelog, pick out
changes that I think should be in etch and do them.

If the release team shrugs and says, well, ok, go ahead and upload the
new version and we'll consider it as-is for etch, that would be great,
but my understanding is that this is contrary to the release policy. Is
my understanding correct?

What is therefore needed, is someone to help with the triage of the
changes which have been made so that a more careful etch-targeted upload
can be made with the necessary changes, complete with documentation.

If anyone is willing to help out in this way, please let me know.
Thanks.

Thomas