nsswitch.conf

Hello,

Is it still the case that packages should not update
/etc/nsswitch.conf as documented in bug #78110?

The reason I ask is because libnss-mdns does just
this (e.g. see bug #406198), and I thought this
was a policy violation.

My personal opinion is that I consider /etc/nsswitch.conf, like
/etc/network/interfaces, a file reserved for local administrators and
changing the fundamental polices of the computer because some package
the administrator never heard of before was automatically pulled into
the upgrade process is not a good thing.

(not to mention mdns breaks anybody who used the recommendations of a
draft Internet standard[1] to name local computers as documented
already in numerous bug reports)

If it is now considered OK to update /etc/nsswitch.conf, could
somebody please point me to references?

Thanks.

Notes
[1] http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/98aug/I-D/draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-05.txt

Yes - I know - it has expired - the only other standard I know of that
reserves top level domains though is RFC2606[2], and I don't consider it
appropriate any of these for a local computer network.

[2] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>