Re: Suggesting new method to handle dpkg diversions

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:20:47AM -0600, Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> wrote:

> [keeping debian-devel CC, this seems to still be relevant]
>
> [Goswin von Brederlow]
> > What if each package could list all its current diversions in
> > DEBIAN/diverions (i.e. in the control.tar.gz)? Upon install dpkg
> > would then add those diversions to its list and removed them on
> > deinstall. During updates it would add new diversions before
> > unpacking and remove obsolete diversions after removal of old files.
>
> Sounds to me like a job for a 'dh_diversions' script, and
> 'debian/packagename.diversions' files in the source package.  Or maybe
> a 'dh_alternatives' that handles both alternatives and diversions,
> since they are similar concepts and alternatives are a great deal more
> common.

That wouldn't handle removing (some of) them between 2 versions of a
package. This would be possible with specially crafted .diversions files
but you possibly never get away with old diversions, and bloat the
.diversions files. OTOH, doing it at dpkg level is just simpler from the
maintainer POV.

Mike