Re: RFC: Proposal for official screenshot repo

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 12:59:51PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:

> If we really use that scheme, there would be no need to declare an extra
> header -- the location of the file can be calculated by the package manager
> using the name of the package and the version number.

  Agreed.  I just wanted to make the point that we'd need to allow for
 multiple versions of screenshots which I'd not seen mentioned.

> I personally find useless to have a single screenshot: what can you really
> understand about the look and feel of a program by looking at a single
> screenshot?

  For some things yes, for other things no.  I like your idea of
 an XML/description file containing links to the images and the
 versions to which they apply a lot though.

  That also gives a nice canonical location:

    http://screenshots.debian.net/package-name.xml

  If going down the XML route then I see no real reason to have
 a distinct file per version.  Instead have something like:

   <package>
    <version name="1.2.3debian1">
     .. images
    </version>
    <version name="1.2.3etch1">
    </version>
   </package>

  (Or in some other valid way - my XML is weak.)

  That would allow a person to see all screenshots of available versions
 in one go, or just those specific to the users distribution
 (sid/etch/whatever).

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.