Experimental or unstable.

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:44:38PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Marc Haber [Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:40:45 +0100]:
> > Experience with adduser shows that no-one besides the maintainers
> > themselves and their closest environment uses experimental packages.
>   More evidence:
>     http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/2005/09/30#experimental-useless

See this worries me a bit.

I'd love for Debian users to test some more cutting edge versions of
packages (partly so upstream gets more testers, partly so I can see the
bits I hate about the new versions and try to get them fixed) but I
don't want them in testing now until they are properly released as a
stable series.  In fact, I don't really want them in unstable if it
means that in order to fix bugs which appear in testing I have to revert
to the stable set of packages in order to get them in.

I guess the compromise is just to realise that they just won't be
thoroughly tested when they hit unstable if they've only been in
experimental before.

But then it does make you wonder if it's worth putting anything in
experimental in the first place.

Is there any better way I can get snapshots/betas tested by the majority
of users?  Do people think that this is the sort of thing that should
just be uploaded to unstable and allowed to flow into testing?

Simon.

--
 -+//      "Step #1 in programming: understand people." -- Linus       \\+-