Re: Ftpmaster bug reports are not processed nearly fast enough.

* Michael Banck (mbanck@debian.org) [061129 13:50]:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:06:55PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > As for the bugs requesting change of priorities in the Overrides
> > file, many appear to simply be ignored permanently. #263887 is the
> > canonical example.  I recommend eliminating the overrides file for
> > packages of priority 'standard' and lower, and instead always
> > allowing package maintainers to set their own package priority among
> > 'extra', 'optional', and 'standard',
>
> As `standard' is what some front ends still install by default AFAIK,
> this might lead to bloat when more and more maintainers think their
> package really should be standard.

For standard, that seems like a bad idea. For extra and optional (and
also sections), a half-override database could make sense, i.e.
overrides are only taken from the database if the database has an entry,
and the database doesn't have an entry usually, and also entries are
purged (normally) in case package and database agree (so that ftp-team
could easily move packages around, but once the package maintainer has
caught up with the database, the maintainer is responsible for future
sections).

Cheers,
Andi
--