Re: Seattle Area Debian Gnomes

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 06:53:20PM -0500, Paul Ford, O'Neil wrote:
> Hello Debian OS,
Hi Paul,
Debian is the uviveral os and a Free software Community. Welcome!

> I live in Everett, 25 miles North of Seattle and am looking for a
> Debian Gnome to provide me with a hard copy of Debian to operate on
> two boxes:

I'm not sure what a 'Debian Gnome' is? Do you mean a Debian os that uses
the Gnome envinroment? We have that. As for a 'hard copy', that means a
paper printout to me. I'd expect you mean you'd like installation media
like cd's or dvd's. Those can be downloaded from the Debian site for
free or can be ordered from many online stores for little money. Use
google to help you with that.

> 1.) Dell Inspiron [2001]
>
> 1.0 Ghrz Processor
> 256 Meg RAM
> 4 Gig Hardrive
>
> 2.) PC
>
> 700 Mghrz Processor
> 256 Meg RAM
> 10 Gig Hardrive

These PC's should have no problem with Debian.

> I have a copy of Free BSD 4.5 [Feb 2002]; so I'd like to acquire the
> most compatible version of Debian to operate on these computers with
> Windows 98 & XP and Free BSD 4.5.

A basic install on Debian can be installed on as little as 500mb of
space, but that would be minimal and you'd need maybe 1 GB for an
install with say Gnome(just a guess). Debian usually installs Grub, so be
aware if you use something other than that.

> Finally, I need to implement a non Microsoft OS and secure [encrypted]
> internet environment with half a dozen PC's and MACs by Q-1 of 2007.

No problem. Debian supports various secure tools and encryption levels
including encrypted hard drives, ssl, ssh, SELinux, etc. And we support
12 different CPU's including Macs with m68k and powerpc inside.

> The hardware requirements would be similar to the boxes I noted above
> plus several "MAC Power PC's" that I'd like to work into the equation
> if practical. Can Debian 'cooperate' within this environment?

Debian, when it releases its 'stable' version, currently 3.1 aka 'Sarge', has
all of its software available equally for PC's and Mac's, so you can
install any of our 16,000+ software packages on both.

> If so, please ask your Seattle area contact to call me at their
> convenience to discuss this mater further.

Debian is not a corporation. We have consultant that can be recommended,
mailing list where you can ask any question, irc channels for more help.
There are also Linux user groups in your state and area that can help
you or can recommend someone in that area.

Also, this is the debian-devel mailing list which is used for discussion
of issues related to the development of the Debian system, and is not
targeted for issues that people have in installing or using Debian. That
would better be discussed on the 'debian-user' mailing list. If you go
to lists.debian.org, you can also find user lists in languages other
that english, if that is useful.
Cheers,
Kev