Re: Bug mass filling

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:24:29 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 07:39:47PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > Is a bashism in a /bin/sh script a normal bug ("should only use
>> > POSIX features"), or a RC bug ("the appropriate shell bust be
>> > specified")? It's much easier to work out by just looking at the
>> > rc_policy text file maintained by the RM team [1].
>> Neither. It is a non RC serious bug.

> No, it's not. It's a minor/normal bug in the package, and a bug in
> policy that it's implied to be a serious bug.

        Can you point me to the bug number of the policy bug?

        I personally think that maintainer scripts should allow for
 /bin/sh to be not bash; or there should be documentation to the
 effect that non bash /bin/sh is not supported.

        This is tension between quality of implementation (making sure
 that maintianer scripts do not fall on their faces wehen the user
 takes the supported action of chaning /bin/sh, and the new fangled
 rush to push things out on time, ready or not, that makes such bugs
 non RC.

        I still think we should go for quality of implementation.

        I also seem to be a minority in this regard.

        If the project feels that we should downgrade policy not to
 set our maintainer scripts to allow for the admin to set /bin/sh to
 be not bash, they can file a bug on policy, and so indicate their
 belief on the bug reprot; I'll reluctantly degrade policy.

        manoj
--
"How many teamsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?" "FIFTEEN!!
YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?"