iptables extensions removed from package

Hello,

In the most recent version of iptables, IPMARK and several other extensions
were removed [1].

I disagree with this change, and contacted the maintainer about it by filing a
bug report [2].  The maintainer declined to put the extensions back into the
package, but provided no reason why, other than "I do not have to include any
patch-o-matic extensions".

A historical version of the README.Debian file included with iptables [3]
(it's no longer included in current versions) states that as many extensions
as possible will be included in the package.  I think this is a great idea.

A recent dicussion on the netfilter-devel mailing list [4] discussed the fact
that the patch-o-matic system is undergoing/has undergone a change in
structure, whereas the actual patches are hosted on third-party sites rather
than on netfilter.org.  I don't see why this would cause the extensions to be
removed from the Debian package.

Am I missing something here?  Extensions such as IPMARK are stable and used by
many in the community.  I don't understand why they have been removed from
Debian.  I would like to see them put back into the mainstream so I don't
have to maintain my own separate package.

What do you think?

Thanks.

1.
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/i/iptables/iptables_1.3.5.0debian1-1/changelog