Re: transitioning config files between two packages

hey steve,

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 17:21 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I don't know what happens if there is a versioned Conflicts/Replaces
> instead, and the conflicted-with package remains installed in a newer
> version as a result.  It's certainly possible that doesn't work nearly as
> smoothly, a conclusion supported by your original post.

well if anyone is interested in reproducing this:

- use debootstrap/pbuilder to create a sarge.tgz
- chroot into the sarge.tgz, mounting /proc.
- apt-get install nagios-plugins
- change the sarge lines to etch lines in sources.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade
- wait for the prompt

if anyone here has some dpkg-fu handy off the top of their heads that i
could use to further deduce what's going on i'd be happy to hear it.

> I do know also that beginning with the dpkg version in etch, the Conflicts:
> is no longer required when moving conffiles, it's possible to use Replaces:
> by itself.

okay.  the conflict is there for other reasons as well but i'll keep
that in mind for other packages.

> After an upgrade and answering all of the conffile prompts, does
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/nagios-plugins.conffiles still exist and reference these
> files?  Depending on what dpkg is really doing here, it may well be possible
> to handle the conffile transfer in maintainer scripts.  (And I thought
> dpkg.org once had recipes for exactly this, but unfortunately the site has
> been down for some time now. :/)

my guess is that they no longer exist in there (and are instead in
nagios-plugins-foo.conffilels), but i'll double check and report back on
that.

thanks,
	sean