Re: Why not only support Sid and Testing?

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:18:19PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > 	Isn't it a cause of stress trying to cram for the freeze?
>
> Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it.

I admit, just because something is hard does not mean it is not
worth it.

The question in my mind becomes: Is it still worth it if the bulk of
people Stable is created for are better servered somewhere else?

Server Users:	I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory this summer.
They love Debian, they even mirror Debian.  However, they feel Debian
will not be taken seriously on the server unless they provide paid full
time support, and provide a set timtable where a server edition will be
supported.  (They would want that time table to be at least 3 years, if
not as long as 5)  I know we provide a great server, maybe even the
best.  But is it worth all the time and stress if the bulk of those who
use servers aren't interested in running Debian for these reasons?

At the risk of repeating myself, Desktop Users: For most non-server
minded people who still want a stable OS, Debian takes too long to
release.  On top of that,many of them want a "As easy aw Windows"
distro. I don't know that Debian will provide that as well as Ubuntu,
unless we want to alter many aspects of the project, like how often we
release.

On the other hand, better than anyone else, we appeal to a crowd
who is enchanted with an ever evolving system which is in a special way
exciting.  Those who are risky have unstable and those a little less
inclined to take a risk have testing.  We serve these people better than
anyone hands down.

	In all of this I want to say I really love Debian.  I don't
think the other distros are better in quality.  It is purely a question
of whether we *serve* them better, whether by providing full time paid
support or releasing constantly with a "training wheels" sytle OS.  I do
think Debian is the best in terms of quality.  I just don't know if it
is worth the stress if the crowd we are stressing over may feel better
suited somewhere else.

			Joseph Smidt

PS I will read the previous threads on this subject.