Is `command -v' accepted for maintainer scripts?

Hi,

I've discovered that my adopted packages dbskkd-cdb and skksearch
use `command -v'.

Is `command -v' accepted for `/bin/sh' maintainer scripts?

AFAIK, `command -v' is defined by POSIX UPE (user portability extension),
"Debian Policy" section 10.4 says `/bin/sh' should only use POSIX features,
"Developer's Reference" section 6.4 says it is "not POSIX", and several
packages, such as libc6, exim4-base, exim4-command, bzip2, slib,
gettext-doc, use it.

Comments?

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita