coreutils/debianutils dependency cycle?

This is somewhat unexpected, given that both packages are already
installed and configured. Does anyone know what's up?

lapse:~# apt-get install --reinstall {core,debian}utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/3178kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
E: Couldn't configure pre-depend coreutils for debianutils, probably a dependency cycle.

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

all of you that believe in telekinetics, raise my hand!