Re: Code of Conduct on the Debian mailinglists

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 03:04:05PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
>
> > You know, I use a mail program. Replying to people is in my fingers
> > as "hitting a button". A very specific button, especially for that
> > purpose.  I expect my MUA to Do The Right Thing (TM).
>
> Most MUAs will do the right thing when you reply; they'll send a
> message to the single person who wrote the message. The person who
> wrote the message can indicate where this single-person reply should
> go, by specifying header fields such as 'From' and 'Reply-To'.
>
> Many MUAs also have a separate specific facility, for replying to
> *every* address related to the discussion. This is fine for a group of
> individuals, but problematic for a mailing list, since one of those
> addresses will be the mailing list address itself, and then some
> people get two copies -- one individually (which usually arrives
> first, since it has less processing time) and one from the mailing
> list.
>
> With mailing lists, there's a third kind of reply needed, a "followup"
> to continue the discussion. This usually should be sent to the mailing
> list address, and to people not on the mailing list but who want to
> receive followup responses.

My point is, I do not see why there should be a difference between
'group reply' and 'list reply'. If the mailer detects that the mail is
coming from a list (and this is very easy, there are some headers to say
so), or if there is an MFT-header, then 'group reply' should just DTRT,
rather than send the mail to "everyone on the Cc list" if that is not
what is wanted.

'Reply to all' and 'Reply to list' is, after all, semantically the same
thing.

--
Fun will now commence