Re: RFC: ssl-cert2 design [Was: Re: Using the SSL snakeoil certificate]

On (28/07/06 10:03), Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> pe, 2006-07-28 kello 00:03 +0100, James Westby kirjoitti:
> >   * Make it easier for package maintainers
> >     - One extra dh_ call and maybe one more file in debian/
>
> How badly is this tied to debhelper? Any chance of designing it so that
> it doesn't require debhelper?

Why does this concern you? I thought debhelper was fairly standard use
today.

But, yes, like all of debhelper it's just a convenience wrapper. If your
package is very simple then in the postinst add

if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
  make-ssl-cert2 package
fi

and in postinst

if [ "$1" = "purge" ]; then
  make-ssl-cert2 -r package || true
fi

The dh_ script merely does this for you after adding any extra arguments
to make-ssl-cert that you have requested with your
debian/package.certificate file.

So, if you are merely concerned that it is /possible/ to do it without a
dh_ call, then it certainly is. But I think it is a good idea to use it,
as if the "policy" changes in this respect then a rebuild is all that
may be required. And also it gives the maintainer more chance that any
problems can simply be reassigned to someone else.

James Westby

[P.S. I have put the source in bzr format here
http://jameswestby.net/bzr/ssl-cert2/ so it's browsable over the web
now]

--
  James Westby