Re: cdrtools

Erast Benson <erast@gnusolaris.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 12:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Erast Benson writes ("Re: cdrtools"):
>> > Joerg clearly stands that:
>> >
>> > 1) Makefiles != scripts or at least it is unclear whether Makefiles may
>> > be called "scripts":
>> >
>> > """ GPL §3 requires the "scripts for compilation" to be provided but
>> > as a first note, it is unclear whether Makefiles may be called
>> > "scripts".
>>
>> This is an absurd interpretation.  `The scripts used to control
>> compilation and installation of the executable' would be an empty set
>> for much GNU software if it didn't include the Makefiles.  It is
>> obvious that that phrase was included in the GPL specifically to
>> ensure that the build system is covered.
>>
>> If it's not obvious to someone then that person is either
>> (a) dishonest or (b) astonishingly out of touch with reality.
>
> I don't want to insist on (1) too. But I must agree with Joerg that it
> is unclear if Makefiles could be called as "scripts for compilation".

This is a minority viewpoint, IMO.  We could argue for months about
what a "script" is, but that wouldn't help much.  Makefiles are often
referred to as "build scripts", and I don't think many folks would
argue that they are *not* scripts.

Look at the complete definition:

,----
`----

> Makefiles are programs written in non-scripting language. To understand
> what non-scripting language is, I googled this:
>
> """I'd define a scripting language as one which requires you to put $
> or whatever in front of variable names, and makes quoting strings an
> optional construct, and does string variable substitution inside string
> constants unless you force it not to with odd escape characters.
> A non-scripting language is one which has simple, clear-cut lexical
> conventions and parsing syntax."""

You are going into nitpicking arguments about semantics and
definitions at this point, which is not particularly useful: you are
wasting everyone's time, including your own.

The intent of the GPL requirement is clear: the build system in a
distributed source tree licensed under the GPL must be GPL (or
compatible with the GPL).  That is, the mechanism used to build GPL
code is an intrinsic part of a GPL licensed work, and so cannot be
licensed in an incompatible manner.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.