Re: cdrtools

On Jul 13, 2006 at 16:06, Erast Benson praised the llamas by saying:

> I don't want to insist on (1) too. But I must agree with Joerg that it
> is unclear if Makefiles could be called as "scripts for compilation".
>
> Makefiles are programs written in non-scripting language. To understand
> what non-scripting language is, I googled this:
>
> """I'd define a scripting language as one which requires you to put $
> or whatever in front of variable names, and makes quoting strings an
> optional construct, and does string variable substitution inside string
> constants unless you force it not to with odd escape characters.
> A non-scripting language is one which has simple, clear-cut lexical
> conventions and parsing syntax."""

You run an interpreter[0] which loads the source script files[1] and
executes it. The language is a mixture of declarative and iterative
programming. It clearly falls in the remit of scripts for compilation.

Your paragraph appears to make python a non-scripting language.

[0] make(1)
[1] Makefile

--
David Pashley