Re: Dropping indirect dependencies from libgnutls-config --libs

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:42:12PM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> It is also used to compile contrib modules that are included in the
> distribution. If you started using pkg-config you'd have introduced a
> build dependancy on a GPL'd program in a BSD licenced package, not
> exactly a good idea.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought, but I'm not sure it's a strong
concern.  Stephen Gran already mentioned libtool, but regardless you can
arrange things so pkg-config isn't a strict dependency.  Most configure
scripts support various --with-foo arguments, so people who don't wish
to use pkg-config can simply pass --with-foo=$HOME/local/foo.
pkg-config would thus be helpful but not a strict build dependency.

> pkg-config is nice for the constellation of GPL'd libraries currently
> installed on most linux systems, but once you step outside of that
> it's not quite as useful.

GTK is LGPL, as is most of the GNOME stack.  GTK predates pkg-config,
they just moved to it as of GTK 2.  Previous to that there were
glib-config and gtk-config scripts.

--
  Vincent Ho

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house
of cards. Checkmate."