Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 05:39:21PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [...]
> [snip]
> > 4. there's already working java in main; and
>
> Partly/somewhat/mostly working.

That's correct: Unfortunately, we've not completely finished liberating
all free software written in Java from the proprietary runtime dependency
[1] yet. The work is progressing steadily, as can be seen from
the API coverage list at
http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk14-classpath.html for 1.4
and http://www.object-refinery.com/classpath/statcvs/ LOC charts. We
need more Java developers to help us create the best Java runtimes
and class library implementation as free software.

The Debian Java packagers and the respective upstreams would likely
appreciate contributions to improve the state of support for free
software written in the Java programming language on free runtimes,
such that it can be moved into the main archive.

See http://www.classpath.org for helping out with the class library,
and see, for example, FSF's gcj at http://gcc.gnu.org/java for the
leading (35%, says popcon) free runtime. Debian also packages JamVM
and Cacao, among other traditional free runtimes, as well as IKVM.
Please report bugs in the class library to GNU Classpath's bug tracker,
so that they can be fixed. If you have a chance, please consider
contributing a patch to help make the Java application you care about
work (better).

See http://jroller.com/page/dgilbert?entry=sven_de_genius ,
http://kennke.org/blog/?p=5 and http://kennke.org/blog/?p=7 for a few
applications that are currently being liberated from dependencies on
proprietary Java implementations.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html