Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 08:45:11AM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
>>Christian Perrier wrote:
>>
>>>And isn't another "small cabal" of freeness junkies, who cannot accept
>>>that it is actually possible to work with commercial vendors to assist
>>>them in their way to free software, doing exactly the opposite by
>>>playing words with legal issues ?
>>>

>>Please explain how this helping them on their way to free software.
>>Don't get me wrong, I applaud their contributions to the open
>>source/free software communities (NetBeans, OpenOffice, Gnome
>>contributions, etc).  However, I have a hard time understanding how
>>Debian distributing Java, which, judging by all the debate, is still
>>under questionable license terms, will help.  In my opinion, a continued
>>refusal to distribute it until it met the required criteria would be
>>much better.  As it stands, here is it appears:
>>
>>Sun has gained for Java:
>>  - "approval" or "validation" as "free enough" for all Linux distros
>>(remember, Debian is seen as the most restrictive in this regard)
>

> Debian has not accepted Java in main. Any user sufficiently proficient
> with anything remotely Debian-related knows that.
>

>>  - a willing accomplice
>

> I'd suggest anyone googling for "Debian Java" and stumbling on this
> thread will think differently.
>

>>  - a demotivation to find more favorable licensing terms
>

> Since the people who've made this happen have claimed they want to go on
> with this, I question that.
>

>>Debian has gained:
>>  - lots of people blogging about this whole mess
>

> Wonderful, isn't it?
>

>>  - possible future legal problems (extent is still being sorted out)
>

> By whom? A bunch of people with too much time on their hands. Is there
> an actual lawyer involved? I don't think so.
>

>>  - something it already had (admins who really wanted Sun's Java could
>>always go to java.sun.com and install it themselves or use java-package)
>

> Well, see, *this* is not true. Sure, it's possible to install Java on a
> Debian system; one can even turn a non-free binary java distribution
> into a Debian package and install that by using java-package. However,
> this is a far cry from
> * Being able to install non-free Java on your Debian system, even if the
>   oldest Java binaries being distributed by the original authors are
>   more recent than the ones java-package is ready for
> * Being able to just install non-free Java by running "apt-get install".
> * Being able to upgrade to a newer (fixed) version of Java by just
>   running "apt-get upgrade"
>
> But you knew that already, I'm sure.

All good points.  However, I think that much of the "popular" press (in
the sense of popular geek press) is not making the distinction between
Debian proper and Debian non-free.  Some have, but others have not.
Headlines like "Debian distributes Sun Java" are not uncommon.  Is it
right?  No.  Is it happening?  Yes.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez