Re: Renaming a package

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 10:23:44AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> Andreas Fester schrieb:

> >I create a new package with the new name which will
> >get uploaded to the NEW queue. This package replaces the
> >old package and conflicts with the old package:
> >Replaces: oldPackage
> >Conflicts: oldPackage (<< firstVersionOfNewPackage)

> IIRC the correct way to do that is

> Package: oldpkg
> Depends: newpkg

> Package: newpkg
> Replaces: oldpkg
> Conflicts: oldpkg

*NO* *NO* *NO* *NO* *NO*.  Look closely at the package relationships you've
specified.  Why would you upload a package to the archive that *can never be
installed*?

Either you want a transitional package, in which case you want this
transitional package to be *installable* and pull in the new package
automatically, or you don't.  If you don't, oldpkg should cease to exist,
not get uploaded in a broken state.

It's ok to have

Package: newpkg
Replaces: oldpkg (<< dummyversion)

but I don't think there's ever a case where making newpkg Conflict: with any
version of oldpkg will help the user.