Re: not running depmod at boot time

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> So, does anybody mind if I remove depmod from the module-init-tools init
> script?

I guess it would be a time-saver to remove the depmod call.

However, since one cannot run depmod properly without the respective
kernel being installed, removing the depmod call will caus harm.

It should be possible, though, to add a conditional around the call so
that the module dependencies will only be calculated again when the
a new kernel has been installed, the kernel version differs from the
last depmod call or more recent modules have been installed.  If only
new modules have been added the depmod call could possibly run in the
background.

Maybe the module-init-tools script could be altered in a way so that
depmod will always be executed in the background with respective
daemon started afterwards.

Regards,

	Joey

--