Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

Erast Benson wrote:
On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 10:44 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

Then provide the Solaris libc and other support libraries somewhere proprietary applications can use them, while building your system around glibc.

It is not easy possible to achieve. I'd say it would be impossible to
make it clean. The better way which we could follow in the future is to
port missing GLIBC functionality to SUN C library.

Uh, why would that be hard? Solaris and Linux binaries doesn't hardcode the same elf interpreter, so you'd just put the solaris ld.so in /usr/lib (where it's hardcoded that it should go) and make sure its default rpath includes something like /usr/lib/sparc-sunos-sun (or what the architecture's triplet is). You'd obviously want to ship the Solaris libc and any other needed libs there.

- tfheen