Re: multiarch status update

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 02:00 -0700, Matt Taggart and others wrote:
> Hi debian-devel,
>
> For a couple years now a few of us have been talking about an idea called
> "multiarch". This is a way to seamlessly allow support for multiple different
> binary targets on the same system, for example running both i386-linux-gnu and
> amd64-linux-gnu binaries on the same system (many other working combinations
> exist as well). I have created a new page in the wiki to track info and status

> We think multiarch can be implemented with minimal disruption to unstable,
> most changes won't effect "single-arch" type systems at all. We'd like to
> start working on implementing it, but before we do we wanted to get feedback,
> concerns, recommendations, volunteers :), etc. This is a big undertaking and
> we're going to need everyone's help to make it happen. Please reply.

I'd prefer to have done it yesterday. I got to know about this because
of the possibility to use scratchbox2 with it in a way that you can
easily cross compile for any target without a seperated build
environment. Also it will ease the use of dpkg-cross a great lot.
 I think a lot of people don't trust in this can actually work and I'd
like to see an actual proof. I definately want to help with this.
Jonas