Re: How (not) to write copyright files - take two

Re: Luca Capello 2006-03-28 <[🔎] 873bh3tqkp.fsf@gismo.pca.it>
> Just to be sure, is the following enough for the BSD license?
>
>  This software is licensed under the terms of the BSD license,
>  which can be found on Debian systems in the file
>  /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD or from
>  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
>
>  The license was modified to reflect that $AUTHOR, not the Regents
>  of the University of California, is the author.

It feels wrong to do that, I'd copy the whole text. IMHO having the
(C) Regents line in /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD makes that file
practically useless, except for using the text as a cut-and-paste
template.

The fact that every (L)GPL packages' copyright points to
/usr/share/common-licenses/ is misleading. Packagers are required to
put the *full* license in debian/copyright (be it a 'short' license
like BSD-style, be it a long text as the GPL uses). The ability to
point to another file is just a matter of convenience for a some
licenses. Most new maintainers seem to get that wrong.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/