Re: custom package error: dpkg -P tries to remove /opt

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

Mike Fogel wrote:
$ dpkg -P custom-package
 ... removal goes perfectly until this error/warning....
dpkg - warning: while removing custom-package, unable to remove
directory `/opt': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount
point ?

Hello Mike,

This question is really more appropriate for debian-user.  However, the
message you see from dpkg is just that, a warning.  Whenever a Debian
package is removed and there are no packages left with files in a
particular directory, dpkg tries to remove the directory.  Of course, it
doesn't do an rm -rf (thankfully), so directories that are still
populated can't be removed.  You see this, for example when removing a
kernel-image package after you have added your own modules that are not
part of a package under the control of dpkg.

Anyhow, the warning is relatively harmless and can be safely ignored.

(I hope that all of this is correct.  If I messed somethig up, someone
please let me know.)

-Roberto

You are more (theoreticaly) or less (practicaly) correct. Dpkg tries
to remove dirs when nothing in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list contains it
anymore. But dpkg also sometimes removes dirs from *.list on remove
(not purge) while the package still has conffiles in there (leading to
the 'dir not empty' warnings).

The bigger question is: Why is no package containing /opt? Shouldn't
that be in base-files like all the other core dirs?

MfG
        Goswin

Thanks for your help all, I think I'll work around the warning by creating a "core-custom" package, which will hold the /opt, and be required by all the other custom packages. I can also use that package as a meta-package to install all the regular packages we like. Not like the warning is a big deal, but the cleaner the better.

Cheers,

Mike