Re: ./configure in debian/rules

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:
> > Pjotr Kourzanov <peter.kourzanov@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >>    In a number of packages (e.g., busybox, dash and many more) the
> >> debian/rules Makefile calls ./configure without --host argument. This
> >> makes the life quite difficult for cross-compilation - for every
> >> such package I need to add --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) to every
> >> configure invocation in debian/rules.
>
> > Were can I read up on how and why I should do this?  AFAIR, the policy
> > mentions this variable in the section about debian/rules, but does not
> > make their use mandatory.
>
> Hm, I've only been doing this in packages that use AC_CANONICAL_HOST.  Is
> there benefit to doing this even with packages that don't care at all
> about the system type and don't even include config.guess and config.sub
> in the source package?

If config.sub is not needed, I am almost sure that --host is not needed. Nor
is --build, or --target.   They are not supposed to be able to work without
config.sub to canonize them.

But do read autotools-dev README.Debian about these three, the way to
correctly use them changed from autoconf 2.13 to autoconf 2.5x.

Come to think of it, adding a note about when they are required is in line
with autotools-dev README's objectives.  I will do so.

  Henrique Holschuh