Re: limitations of reportbug and BTS

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 14:10 -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Hi
>
>    I wanted to report a minor bug on kicker using reportbug package
> tool. But then it forces me to read a huge number of bug titles (around
> 647 of them) most of which were not filed against kicker. For example it
> shows bugs against kdeprinter, kate, konsole etc., Why is this so? I
> think it kind of discourages users who want to report to bugs against a
> single package...

It searches for bugs on the source package, which in this case is
kdebase.  You can change this behavior with --no-query-source.  My guess
for the reason that --query-source is that quite frequently, especially
with libraries, bugs will be filed on the package in which someone has
found a bug, but the bug will also be present in other packages from the
same source.

For example, see #145786, filed on libarts1 over 3 and one-half *years*
ago (and still not fixed).  This bug is still present in libarts1c2a,
but because they are from the same source package, it can be assumed
that the maintainers know about this.