Re: Autobuilding and the build-arch target, again

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

>  - "If a package has both Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep, it
> MUST have a build-arch target"

> Would probably catch 95% of all cases. So far, I know no existing
> packages that don't have those targets but use both B-D and B-D-I.

I know tons of such packages, namely all arch-independent Perl modules
that use debhelper with proper dependencies.  You have to put anything
required during debian/rules clean into B-D, not B-D-I.

However, the buildds won't see such packages, so that lack of compliance
with this proposal may not hurt.  But then it reduces to your next
proposal.

>  - "If a package has Build-Depends-Indep and is to be autobuilt, it
> MUST have a build-arch target"

> This would be special treatment for the autobuilders. Would work in more
> cases than the check for both B-D and B-D-I though. As we cannot know
> before the build whether a package will build any arch-dependent
> packages, we can only guess here. To gain something here, we would have
> to check whether any binaries for other architectures already exist, and
> only in this case build-arch could be invoked. Talk about ugly.

I think the way of phrasing this is "if the source package has both
arch-specific and arch: all binary packages and B-D-I, it must have
build-arch and build-indep targets."  It's a pain to have the policy be
this conditional, but I think this is going to make the fewest packages
buggy while still accomplishing the goal.

>  - "Turn the SHOULD into a MUST in policy and have dpkg-buildpackage
> check the Standards-Version"

Checking the standards version for this sort of thing seems rather evil to
me, but maybe I'm too conservative.