Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:45:29PM -0500, Eric Cooper wrote:
> I saw today that the python-minimal package in unstable is tagged as
> Essential (and currently pulls in python2.3).  According to policy,
> this is supposed to happen only after discussion on debian-devel and
> consensus is reached, but I couldn't find that discussion in the list
> archives.

Joerg approved it at 09:50:15 2006/01/15, after Doko uploaded a
new python-defaults package (-4). I've no idea why he accepted it as
Priority:required and Essential:yes, and given that python-minimal isn't
any different to regular python (though presumably will be if we ever
switch to python2.4), I can't see why it was uploaded at this point.

The -5 upload removed the Essential:yes tag, and lowered the priority to
standard (apparently due to apt automatically installing Essential:yes
packages and thus screwing up people who've pinned stable or testing,
see #348354, and #348319), but since the override was already set at
required, that's what the Priority: field still shows.

Obviously, python2.4-minimal is what Ubuntu includes in its essential set;
so presumably the idea is to move Debian to a similar arrangement. Maybe
Doko's been paying attention to all the folks saying Ubuntu should
contribute back more?

I've changed the override to Priority: standard; I can't say I'm remotely
impressed by how this has been handled.

Cheers,
aj