Re: Maintaining a debian package

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:59:12PM +0100, Andi Drebes wrote:
> Hi there!
> I'm currently developing an application for library management (real books,
> CDs, etc). I'd like to distribute it over the internet, because I think it
> could be useful to other users. As I'm using debian and like it pretty
> much, I'd like to add it to the list of packages that debian oficially
> provides. The first problem is, that I don't know how to create
> debian-packages. I even have a lot of problems when creating a distribution
> with automake and autoconf. Well, I'm going to learn it (at least, I hope
> so :)). I'd like to know more about the process of how packages are added
> to the official debian package list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>         Andi Drebes
>
> P.S.: Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language...
Hi Andi,
you may notice that  Debian has many programs to catalog thing. Some for
cd/dvd's, some for books, etc. When you make an ITP you will need to
make an argument as to why this packages should be added. Debian
developers will want to know what differentiates your package from other
similar ones in Debian already. This is not to say that you will be
unable to add your package to debian, but on rare occasions it has been
decided that some packages would not benefit being added. An ITP also
know as an "intent to package" is a request that is sent to the Debian
BTS (bug tracking system) to announce a request to add a package to
Debian. Your next step should be to get familar with Debian by visiting
the debian mentor  website and join the debian-mentors mailing list.
There you will be helped to develop your package so that it can be made
into a '.deb' aka debian package. Once you do this, you will need
someone to sponsor your package. This will allow someone who is a debian
developer to look at your work and if ok, will upload it into Debian.
You IIRC can request a sponsor here.
Cheers,
Kev
ps. If you want some beta tester for your work, you should include a URL
so that folks like me can try your work, assuming you feel it is in a
shape to be tested.
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!