Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 07:06, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:47:19PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 09:00:33PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> I'm aware of that.  There are cases, though, where people tend to
> create a difference when it's not necessary.  A common place is graphics
> on the default desktop.  I don't know if Ubuntu changes those, but I know
some derivatives do,

> and thus have to fork some packages.  I figure it would be easier to
> use /etc/alternatives to manage those defaults, but that's just me.

does not follow, it's unnecesary to fork packages in order to change the
default desktop setup (and has been for forever):
- you can always add a configuration-set by putting it in a directory, and
adding that to the search path variable for your DE (note: for gnome you
need to adjust the gconf path file instead)
- desktop-profiles now provides a standard way to set up extra
configuration-sets, allowing the admin to control the activation of them in
1 place regardless of the DE used (but even before that you could always
set the environment variable in <random-script>, skolelinux does)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)