Re: self-depending packages

On 20050301T144403+0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <ajk@debian.org>
> > On 20050301T122452+0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
> >> apt invokes dpkg on the command line and due to maximum command line
> >> length it sometimes is split in an unfortunate place.
>
> > I'll repeat what I wrote above:
>
> > Doesn't apt usually unpack all packages first and then configure them in
> > one run, so that shouldn't matter?
>
> I will refrain from repeating what Tollef wrote, but read it again
> anyway.  Apt neither unpacks nor configures packages; it uses dpkg for
> that.

There is and was nothing wrong wrong with my reading comprehension; the
problem was that we did not share a common set of assumptions.

For me "apt unpacks" obviously means "apt tells dpkg to unpack"
and "apt configures" obviously means "apt tells dpkg to configure";
it was also obvious to me that "apt configures in one run" means it
calls dpkg --configure -a.  My mistake was the last assumption: I have
now checked source, and apt really does list the packages even in a
configuration run, which indeed is a problem.

Had someone corrected my false (implicit) assumption, this thread would
have been a lot shorter.  Alas, it wasn't: not one response I got
addressed the real problem.  Perhaps it'd be useful to assume that I can
read and then look for ways I could have made a mistake in my mental
model.  Then again, I could have been more explicit in listing my
assumptions.

Oh well.  This thread has demonstrated Wiio's law:

  Communication usually fails, except by accident.

(http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/wiio.html)
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian