Re: Spliting packages between pkg and pkg-data

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > 3. Loose dependencies between -data and main packages *CAN* create breakage
> >    on partial upgrades, depending on just how tight the relationship between
> >    a particular version of the package and its arch-indep data is.  Watch
> >    out for this, it is NOT always an easy problem to solve because of bin
> >    NMUs.
>
> One can provide 'foo-abi-1234' and depend on that. For packages that
> seldomely change the data format this works fine.
>
> For frequent/regular data format changes a Depends: foo-data (>=
> 1.2-3), foo-data (<< 1.2-3.1) or (<< 1.3) should do the job.

I like this one, it is less error-prone than trying to track ABIs when you
don't have to do so already for another reason (such as dynamic linking).

> > 4. Also IMHO one should at the very least suggest the main package from the
> >    -data package.  This helps the users of non-crappy apt frontends to
> >    track the main package starting from the -data package.  Relying on
> >    package naming alone for this is suboptimal at best.
>
> Actualy I would love to have the naming policy set in stone and
> frontends filter for them. There is no reason to list foo-data in the

Please don't.  I don't want my package management tools dumbed down.  The
day I have to start second-guessing aptitude is the day I drop it.

If it is optional behaviour, then I wouldn't mind it, but I would still tack
a recommends or suggests in -data pointing back to the main package.

  Henrique Holschuh