approx (was Re: apt-proxy)

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:40:04AM +0100, Brian May wrote:
> Is a back port available for sarge? If not, how feasible would it be
> to create on? Does it depend on anything not in sarge?

Approx needs the current version of libocamlnet-ocaml-dev,
but otherwise should compile and work OK in sarge.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:40:04AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Update your package description please. Current apt-cacher does not
> require Apache.

Yes, I noticed that when I saw the recent thread about apt-cacher's
path_map option.  It should be fixed in the next upload.

As far as I can see, the primary difference is that approx supports
FTP to remote repositories (which apt-cacher is likely to do too in
the future), and is compiled to native code (which may not matter in
practice).  A secondary difference is that approx doesn't keep any
meta information (HTTP headers) in the cache, just the downloaded
files themselves.

Apt-cacher has more flexibility in name mapping, and can integrate (or
not) with an existing webserver.  Is that a fair comparison?